Why should I eat a certain amount of carbs to maximize my cycling performance?
- For all types of exercise: It can help maintain keeping focus, especially when you're tired
- In short, intense workouts (<1 hour): It can improve exercise performance.
- During longer sessions (>2 hours): It delays fatigue, increases time to exhaustion, and leads to better overall performance.
How do I get my carb intake on point?
Follow this practice proven by elite teams and science-backed:
- Find your favorite products: Drinks, gels, bars and “normal” foods can be mixed and matched. Just ensure you stay hydrated and keep protein, fat, and fiber low.
- For rides lasting over 2.5 hours or in hot conditions: Consider products that contain glucose:fructose and combine them to a 2:1 ratio (60g glucose + 30g fructose).
- Match your food intake: Match your carb intake to your (race) intensity to reach your target carb intake per hour. Some evidence suggests taking a significant carb portion (e.g. 15-30g of carbs) every 15-20 minutes may offer a slight advantage over small bites or sips of carbs every 5 minutes.
- Practice regularly: Practice during training to find products you enjoy and train your gut to increase your carb intake.
Use The FoodCoach App to plan your training and get personalized recommendations for your ride.
Popular products to mix and match to reach carbs targets
Improve this blog
Our blogs aim to the make world's best nutrition insights and research actionable for you.